Happy Holidays! Yes, I’ve been MIA but I have a certified treat for you. I’ve combed through all the year’s Tie the Knot Tuesday features and selected the most notable in categories I think you’re most interested in as a planning bride. This was tough because every single TTKT feature brings something special to Triple B. In a couple cases I just couldn’t pick one wedding so look out for the ties. Enjoy and be sure to comment and let me know if you agree with my selects!
- Best Venue: Daina & Kevin – This Southern New Jersey couple chose a boat that doubles as restaurant (Moshulu Restaurant) in nearby Philadelphia to get hitched and host their reception. How cool was that?
- Best Photography: Robyn & Victor (upper left) – We all expect to see certain wedding shots (bride walking down the aisle with her father, groom dancing with his mother) but some photographers capture images that are totally unexpected and Triple B always appreciates the unexpected. Eye Wonder Photography based in Silver Spring, Maryland got the job done right.
- Best Favor: Yaasmeen & Rich – Long before becoming a bridal junkie I was a magazine junkie so this couple’s mini-magazine created for their Dominican Republic nuptials immediately stole my heart. The nifty publication included fun crossword puzzles, pictures of the HBCU pair through the years and more.
- Best Headpiece: Patrice – Simply gorgeous and the perfect complement to her equally gorgeous locks. The rhinestone creation was purchased at NY’s Brooklyn Bridal Boutique.
- Best Dress: Akida – This Philly bride opted for a strapless Ulla Maija gown from Kleinfeld. It was dramatic but not too over-the-top. The stylish bride was a very close runner-up for best headpiece, too.
- Best Shoes: Breanne – This savvy bride wore simple wedges for her beachfront nuptials but changed into a pair of smokin’ hot BCBG silver strappy stilettos for her reception. The best part? She scored them for less than $40!
- Best Family Tribute: Chris Paul & Jada Crawley – Technically I covered this wedding as a freelance assignment for Essence and Essence.com but I of course shared the exclusive about the specialty cocktail bar dedicated to Chris’s grandfather Papa Chilly here on Triple B. A wedding is an ideal occasion to honor the spirit of a deceased loved one and it can be pulled off in a classy and uplifting way regardless of the couple’s budget. If ever given the opportunity to plan such an affair of my own, I’m definitely borrowing this to pay homage to my father.
- Best First Dance: Rashida & Ben – I laughed at this pair’s dancing feet for weeks.
- Best Wedding Trailer: Rasheeda & Cory – Three Ring Weddings never disappoints but this trailer literally made me shed a tear. And how fly was Rasheeda’s hair?
- Best Out-the-Box Details: Lesley & Kamau and Kahran & Regis – Looking for ideas on how to make your big day less cookie-cutter? Let these artistic couples inspire you.
- Best Love Story: Dee & Tory and Tisa & Adam – As a (seemingly) happy married mentor of mine recently reminded me, “Love is messy.” I appreciate all my TTKT couples for sharing their journey with Triple B, yet there are a few that truly get candid with the details of how they made it to the altar. As a private person, I don’t take this lightly. The two chosen couples gave us the real deal — enough to make even the biggest marriage cynics smile.
***BONUS: Best E-Session Images: Erica & Donald’s Harlem Engagement Session shot by Ilene Squires – Creative and classy images with oodles upon oodles of style.